Looking for a drug rehab center? - Let us help you!
DrugRehabCenters.org is a free addiction treatment locator and placement resource.
Our treatment specialists have tremendous knowledge and experience and have access to a nationwide treatment database containing over 25,000 drug and alcohol treatment programs.
Call Us Now at: 1-866-726-3478. Our specialists can assess your overall situation and then provide you with corresponding treatment options that best fit your personal needs and provide the greatest potential for success.
We are dedicated to helping every addict or alcoholic get the treatment they need regardless of financial situation.
Don't wait! - CALL US NOW!
We can help you!
Drug Rehab Centers For Men
Drug Rehab Centers For Men
Drug rehab centers for men mostly focuses on the specific rehabilitation needs that most men have while dealing with alcoholism and drug addiction. This is because addiction tends to work differently for men and women. As such, treatment for it should deal with all these distinctions while focusing on the problems that men typically encounter while trying to battle substance use disorders.
For instance, addicted men tend to experience social and cultural pressure as well as emotional issues that are different from those women undergo. Additionally, men tend to deal with problems, traumas, and issues in a way that is different from that taken by women.
This is because men and women are different in how they communicate, act, and think. As such, drug rehab centers for men is designed to specifically work for men in ways that can increase the chances of full rehabilitation, recovery, and sobriety.
Understanding Drug Rehab Centers For Men
The NHSDU (National Household Survey on Drug Abuse) reports that men are twice as likely as women to abuse drugs. Additionally, men are more likely than women to abuse hard drugs like heroin, hallucinogens, cocaine, and methamphetamines.
In the same way, research shows that drugs and alcohol affect women and men differently. On the physiological level, men tend to process intoxicating substances differently while on the psychological level they confront different gender-specific triggers and social challenges.
To this end, although not every rehabilitation center is separated according to gender, some drug rehab centers provide separate recovery resources designed specifically for men with addiction.
These programs are designed to provide integrative and comprehensive approaches that can help men heal themselves - body, mind, and spirit. They also use gender responsive and integrative treatment models that go over and beyond the basic fundamentals of 12 step meetings and abstinence to address different aspects of addiction recovery for men.
Some of the aspects that drug rehab centers for men deal with include but are not limited to:
- Experiential therapy
- Expressive therapy
- Healthy values
- Medical needs
- Neurological health
- Sexual health
- Systemic health
- Trauma-informed care
Importance Of Drug Rehab Centers For Men
When men get the opportunity to participate in a gender specific treatment program, they are more likely to stay at the facility longer. Research shows that the longer patients stay in treatment, the more likely they are to recover fully and avoid triggers and relapse.
Therefore, drug rehab centers for men are designed to increase the opportunity for life long sustained sobriety and reduce the rates of relapse among male patients at the rehab facility.
The clinical team at the center will also meet regularly to discuss the work they do with patients. In some cases, they observe the following whenever women are not present:
- Are less competitive with other patients
- Develop stronger bonds (of camaraderie)
- Express broader ranges of emotion
- Increase their display of vulnerability
- Support the other patients more readily
- Take better care of other men undergoing therapy and addiction treatment
- Use less humor as a deflection tactic
When these factors are taken as one whole, they often lead to more reflective, honest, and open treatment experiences for the men who are fighting addiction and substance use disorders.
Additionally, the men participating in the programs tend to open more to each other and share things that they would otherwise never have thought to say out loud. In the same way, the clients delve deeper into the issues that they would not have thought would apply to them.
Last but not least, drug rehab centers for men remove the potential romantic distractions that might be present if there were women present. Although some of the men might be part of the LGBTQ+ community, therapists at these facilities report that flirtation is close to zero in single gender treatment environments.
Apart from the above, it is clear that men avoid and/or seek treatment for drug and alcohol abuse for reasons that are different from those women use. To this end, men tend to be more likely to:
- Avoid treatment because they fear it might damage their careers
- Believe that how much they are able to drink is a measure of their masculinity
- Believe that seeking drug treatment is a clear sign of weakness
- Believe that they are able to overcome their substance use disorders and addiction without any external assistance/help
- Deny that they have a problem with drugs/alcohol
- Escape treatment because they fear failing their families and dependents
- Feel that they can continue operating normally even while addicted
- Seek treatment as a result of external factors like interventions, work related consequences, and legal issues
Most of these factors are enmeshed in the issue of masculine identity but often lead men to seek treatment much later than they otherwise would have. As a result, they might contribute to the condition progressing as well as expose the addict to increased spiritual, emotional, and physical consequences.
Through drug rehab centers for men, however, these factors and problems can easily be addressed especially because there won't be women present. In the long term, therefore, this form of rehabilitation tends to produce better outcomes than if the recovering addicts had opted for another mode of treatment.
How Drug Rehab Centers For Men Works
The main unifying themes than tend to run through most of the aspects of drug rehab centers for men include vulnerability and communication. Where women are present, therefore, most men tend to default to their usual behavioral norms and dogmas - which dictate that they have to be immune to pain, stoic, and strong, and show no emotion or vulnerability.
Since men are easily wired to not show weakness, to act cool, and to try and impress women, they may not benefit from a mixed gender addiction treatment and rehabilitation program.
On the other hand, when they undergo treatment at facilities specifically for men, most of them lose their inhibitions and show new forms of bravery. The also drop their macho act and start admitting that they have a problem they need help with. Others own their fears and start sharing more of their experiences with other men present.
Over time, this tends to be the key that unlocks the doors to sobriety, recovery, and freedom from alcohol and drugs. At the end of the treatment, the men are able to overcome their problems and address all other underlying issues that might be at the root of their addiction and substance use disorders.
Overall, even as you continue struggling with addiction and substance abuse, you should keep in mind that help is just around the corner. With drug rehab centers for men, you no longer need to worry that your natural or learned behavior around women might affect your rehabilitation. Get started with treatment today and find the relief you need from your addiction.
Drug Rehab Centers For Men by State
Select a State:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Make The Right Choice. Get Help Now.
Drug Rehab Categories
Select a treatment category:
- Mental Health Services
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services
- Health Services and Treatment
- Drug And Alcohol Detox Centers
- Methadone Treatment Programs
- Methadone Detox
- Transitional Living
- Outpatient Drug Rehab Programs
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse Day Programs
- Short Term Drug Treatment Centers
- Long Term Drug Treatment Programs
- Hospital Inpatient Programs
- Drug Treatment Centers For Teens and Adolescents
- Drug Rehabs for Dual Diagnosis Clients
- Drug Treatment Programs For HIV and AIDS Clients
- Drug Treatment For Gays and Lesbians
- Drug Treatment For Senior Citizens
- Drug Treatment Centers For Pregnant Women
- Drug Treatment For Women
- Drug Rehab Programs For Women With Children
- Drug Rehab Centers For Men
- Drug Rehabs For DUI and DWI Offenders
- Drug Treatment Programs For Criminal Justice Clients
- Drug Treatment Programs For Hearing Impaired Clients
- Native American and Alaskan Native Languages
- Drug Treatment Centers For Spanish Speaking Clients
- Languages other than Spanish
- Drug Rehab Centers That Accept Medicaid
- Drug Rehab Programs That Accept Medicare
- Drug Treatment Programs That Accept Private Health Insurance
- Drug Rehab Centers That Accept Military Insurance
- Self Pay Drug Treatment Programs
- Drug Rehab Centers With Sliding Scale Fees
- Drug Rehab Centers With Payment Assistance