Looking for a drug rehab center? - Let us help you!
DrugRehabCenters.org is a free addiction treatment locator and placement resource.
Our treatment specialists have tremendous knowledge and experience and have access to a nationwide treatment database containing over 25,000 drug and alcohol treatment programs.
Call Us Now at: 1-866-726-3478. Our specialists can assess your overall situation and then provide you with corresponding treatment options that best fit your personal needs and provide the greatest potential for success.
We are dedicated to helping every addict or alcoholic get the treatment they need regardless of financial situation.
Don't wait! - CALL US NOW!
We can help you!
Drug Rehab Centers For Men
Drug Rehabilitation Facilities For Men
Drug rehab facilities for men primarily focuses on the specific treatment needs that most men have while dealing with alcoholism and drug addiction. This is because addiction tends to affect men and women differently. As such, rehabilitation for it should deal with all these peculiarities while focusing on the problems that men typically encounter while trying to battle substance use issues.
For example, alcohol and drug addicted men tend to experience social and cultural pressure in addition to emotional issues that are different from those women undergo. Additionally, men tend to address obstacles, traumas, and issues differently than women.
This is due to the fact that men and women are different in how they communicate, act, and think. As such, alcohol and drug rehabilitation programs for men are designed to specifically work for men in ways that can enhance the chances of full rehab, recovery, and sobriety.
Understanding Drug And Alcohol Rehab Programs For Men
The NHSDU (National Household Survey on Drug Abuse) reports that men are twice as likely as women to abuse drugs and alcohol. Additionally, men are more likely than women to abuse hard alcohol and drugs like heroin, hallucinogens, cocaine, and methamphetamines.
In the same way, research indicates that alcohol and drugs affect women and men differently. On the physical level, men tend to process harmful substances differently while on the psychological level they deal with different gender-specific triggers and social challenges.
To this end, although not every rehabilitation center is separated according to gender, some alcohol and drug rehab programs provide separate recovery resources designed specifically for men with addiction.
These programs are designed to provide integrative and comprehensive treatments that can help men heal themselves - body, mind, and spirit. They also utilize gender responsive and integrative rehabilitation models that go over and beyond the basic fundamentals of 12 step meetings and abstinence to address different aspects of drug addiction recovery for men.
Some of the aspects that alcohol and drug rehab centers for men address include but are not limited to:
- Experiential therapy
- Expressive therapy
- Healthy values
- Medical needs
- Neurological health
- Sexual health
- Systemic health
- Trauma-informed care
Importance Of Drug And Alcohol Treatment Centers For Men
When men have the chance to participate in a gender specific treatment program, they are more inclined to stay at the center longer. Research indicates that the longer patients stay in rehab, the more likely they are to recover fully and avoid triggers and relapse.
Therefore, alcohol and drug rehab programs for men are structured to increase the opportunity for life long sustained sobriety and reduce the rates of relapse among male clients at the rehabilitation facility.
The treatment staff at the center will also meet regularly to discuss the work they do with patients. In some cases, they observe the following whenever women are not in their presence:
- Are less competitive with other patients
- Develop stronger bonds (of camaraderie)
- Express broader ranges of emotion
- Increase their display of vulnerability
- Support the other clients more readily
- Take better care of other men undergoing therapy and drug addiction treatment
- Use less humor as a deflection tactic
When these elements are considered on a whole, they often result in more reflective, honest, and open rehabilitation experiences for the men who are fighting drug and alcohol addiction and substance use issues.
In addition, the men engaging in the programs tend to open more to each other and share things that they would otherwise never have thought to say out loud. In the same way, the clients dive deeper into the problems that they would not have thought would apply to them.
Lastly, drug treatment programs for men eliminate the potential romantic distractions that may be present if there were women present. Although some of the men might be part of the LGBTQ+ community, therapists at these programs indicate that flirtation is close to zero in single gender rehab environments.
Aside from this, it is clear that men avoid and/or seek rehabilitation for drug and alcohol for reasons that are different from those women use. To this end, men are generally more inclined to:
- Avoid rehabilitation because they fear it might cause harm to their careers
- Believe that how much they are able to drink is a measure of their masculinity
- Consider that seeking drug treatment is an apparent sign of weakness
- substance use issues and drug and alcohol addiction without any external assistance/help
- Deny that they have an issue with drugs and alcohol
- Escape rehabilitation because they fear failing their families and dependents
- Feel that they can keep operating normally even while addicted
- Seek rehabilitation as a result of external factors like interventions, work related consequences, and legal issues
Most of these elements are intertwined in the issue of masculine identity but often lead men to begin rehabilitation much later than they may have otherwise. As a result, they might contribute to the condition getting worse in addition to expose the addict to increased spiritual, emotional, and physical impacts.
Through drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs for men, however, these factors and problems can easily be addressed specifically because there won't be women present. In the long term, therefore, this form of rehab often results in better results than if the recovering addicts had chosen another mode of rehab.
How Drug Rehabilitation Centers For Men Works
The main unifying themes than tend to run through most of the aspects of drug treatment centers for men include vulnerability and communication. Where women are present, therefore, the majority of men tend to default to their usual behavioral norms and dogmas - which dictate that they have to be immune to pain, stoic, and strong, and show no emotion or vulnerability.
Since men are are inclined to not show weakness, to act cool, and to try and impress women, they may not benefit from a mixed gender drug and alcohol addiction treatment facility.
On the other hand, when they undergo rehab at facilities specifically for men, the majority of of them discard their inhibitions and exhibit new forms of bravery. The tend to drop the macho act and start admitting that they have a problem they need help with. Others own their fears and begin sharing more of their experiences with other men present.
Over time, this tends to be the key that unlocks the doors to sobriety, recovery, and freedom from drugs and alcohol. At the end of the treatment, the men are able to conquer their problems and address all other underlying issues that might be at the root of their drug and alcohol addiction and substance use disorders.
Overall, even as you continue struggling with drug and alcohol abuse, you should keep in mind that help is not far. With drug and alcohol rehabilitation facilities for men, you no longer need to worry that your natural or learned behavior around women may affect your treatment. Get started with treatment today and find the relief you need from your drug and alcohol addiction.
Drug Rehab Centers For Men by State
Select a State:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Make The Right Choice. Get Help Now.
Drug Rehab Categories
Select a treatment category:
- Mental Health Services
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services
- Health Services and Treatment
- Drug And Alcohol Detox Centers
- Methadone Treatment Programs
- Methadone Detox
- Transitional Living
- Outpatient Drug Rehab Programs
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse Day Programs
- Short Term Drug Treatment Centers
- Long Term Drug Treatment Programs
- Hospital Inpatient Programs
- Drug Treatment Centers For Teens and Adolescents
- Drug Rehabs for Dual Diagnosis Clients
- Drug Treatment Programs For HIV and AIDS Clients
- Drug Treatment For Gays and Lesbians
- Drug Treatment For Senior Citizens
- Drug Treatment Centers For Pregnant Women
- Drug Treatment For Women
- Drug Rehab Programs For Women With Children
- Drug Rehab Centers For Men
- Drug Rehabs For DUI and DWI Offenders
- Drug Treatment Programs For Criminal Justice Clients
- Drug Treatment Programs For Hearing Impaired Clients
- Native American and Alaskan Native Languages
- Drug Treatment Centers For Spanish Speaking Clients
- Languages other than Spanish
- Drug Rehab Centers That Accept Medicaid
- Drug Rehab Programs That Accept Medicare
- Drug Treatment Programs That Accept Private Health Insurance
- Drug Rehab Centers That Accept Military Insurance
- Self Pay Drug Treatment Programs
- Drug Rehab Centers With Sliding Scale Fees
- Drug Rehab Centers With Payment Assistance