Looking for a drug rehab center? - Let us help you!
DrugRehabCenters.org is a free addiction treatment locator and placement resource.
Our treatment specialists have tremendous knowledge and experience and have access to a nationwide treatment database containing over 25,000 drug and alcohol treatment programs.
Call Us Now at: 1-877-275-7054. Our specialists can assess your overall situation and then provide you with corresponding treatment options that best fit your personal needs and provide the greatest potential for success.
We are dedicated to helping every addict or alcoholic get the treatment they need regardless of financial situation.
Don't wait! - CALL US NOW!
We can help you!
Drug Treatment For Gays and Lesbians
Drug Treatment For Gays And Lesbians
Alcohol and Drug rehab for gays and lesbians is not all that different from other 'Straight' rehab programs and centers. However, these facilities do vary in the sense that there would be increased awareness among the treatment experts about the diverse experiences and everyday stresses that individuals from this community undergo. Due to this, there would be an increase in understanding of and sympathy for sexual orientation. With this in mind, drug rehab for lesbians and gays focus on offering tailored programs to meet the important needs and treat the specific challenges that lesbians and gays need to address.
In particular, it is crucial that gay and lesbian clients feel comfortable in a drug and alcohol addiction rehab environment. They also need to feel that they can be open about their personal challenges and start healing without being fearful of discrimination and other backlash from the staff working at the center as well as other participating clientele.
Today, some individuals grasp that lesbian and gay specific rehab facilities for drug addiction are the safest places for people from these communities to experience complete recovery and treatment. Others believe that rehab should take place at a program comprised of people of varying backgrounds. The most appropriate solution, however, might be in a rehabilitation facility that is gay and lesbian aware and safe.
Understanding Drug Treatment For Gays And Lesbians
Today, drug and alcohol addiction services are becoming more specialized. In particular, the design of treatment has evolved especially after the many studies that have concluded that the chances of success and recovery are heightened when the issues that certain individuals face are completely embraced, validated, and treated as an important aspect of the rehabilitation process. Because of this, alcohol and drug rehab for lesbians and gays is now thought of as crucial for providing rehabilitation services for LGBTQ+ individuals.
As a demographic, the LGBTQ+ community has generally had a variety of health care challenges that were previously flatly denied or overlooked. Thankfully, there have been advances in the past several years specifically with respect to drug and alcohol abuse rehabilitation.
In line with this, the best drug rehabilitation for gays and lesbians should be one that is staffed by trained and empathetic clinicians and drug and alcohol addiction rehabilitation experts. In such an environment, sexual orientation, the importance of personal choices, and diversity will be respected. Therefore, clients will be better able to freely establish new emotional and social networks that could potentially support and improve their recovery.
Addiction Risk Factors For LGBTQ+ Individuals
Although drug and alcohol addiction - as a process and health state - works the same for everyone despite sexual orientation, the LGBTQ+ community experienced some different psychological and social issues that could exacerbate their addiction and even their chances of recovery and long term sobriety.
Some of the risk factors include, but are not limited to:
- Mental health issues like suicide, anxiety, and depression
- Self hatred
- Partying around bars and happy events in which lesbians and gays tend to meet and where alcohol and drugs are usually available
Treatment Needs For The LGBTQ+ Community
According to SAMHSA (the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration), there are certain standardized types of care that should be used during drug and alcohol rehab for lesbians and gays
Therefore, SAMHSA advocates that drug rehab for gays and lesbians hones in on:
- Some of the problems and issues (including discrimination) that might contribute to or worsen drug and alcohol use among LGBTQ+ people
- Unique concurrent health care concerns most gays and lesbians face
- The exact types of addictive and intoxicating substances often used by individuals in the LGBTQ+ community
Irregardless of your sexual orientation, anyone who is suffering with addiction experiences a variety of factors that exacerbate to their problem. Although there are common factors and certain considerations in the general population, individuals in the LGBTQ+ community tend to experience certain factors that in all likelihood play a role in causing them to turn into substance use disorders or exacerbate their already active dependence and addiction.
Some of these factors - which should be addressed through drug rehabilitation for gays and lesbians - include but are not limited to:
- Attempts to self-medicate for additional and underlying behavioral and mood disorders or even to lessen the inwardly directed anger that individuals of this community feels
- Frequent engagement in substance abuse to numb the emotional and psychological conflict and pain most gays and lesbians grapple with as an escape from discrimination.
- Public disapproval and discrimination that limits the social outlets for LGBTQ+ to clubs and bars where there is a higher risk of abusing drugs and alcohol
- Giving into peer pressure to take drugs and drink alcohol (particularly among LGBTQ+ youth and teens) so as to fit in with some social circles
What To Expect From Drug Treatment For Gays And Lesbians
Nobody deserves to feel shame, despair, or pain as a result of their sexual preference. Enrolling into drug rehabilitation for drugs will ensure that you get to work with people who understand most of the specific challenges and problems you face as a LGBTQ+ person. This way, you will be provided with an understanding, safe, and like-minded environment that is free of judgment.
Additionally, rehab for drugs and alcohol can help you get through your challenges with alcohol and drug abuse by addressing a number of issues such as:
- Accepting yourself
- Alleviating all risk-taking behaviors
- Anxiety, depression, and any other mental health issues being dealt with
- Coming out
- Dealing with your emotions and feelings
- Eliminating any shame you might feel about you orientation
- Establishing a safe social network that is separate and cut out from the club scene that might have caused your addiction in the first place
- The initial causes of your substance use disorder and addiction
At the drugs and alcohol facility, you will navigate all these issues with the direction, help, and support of treatment specialists and counselors educated to and experienced in dealing with all the sensitive issues that LGBTQ+ individuals face. In addition, they may uncover all the root causes of your substance use disorder(s) and drug addiction and show how your behavior now and previous history has been fueling your drug/alcohol use. In the end, you will learn how to take over control of all your current and future moves in life and get started on a path to full recovery.
Drug Treatment For Gays and Lesbians by State
Select a State
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Make The Right Choice. Get Help Now.
Drug Rehab Categories
Select a treatment category:
- Mental Health Services
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services
- Health Services and Treatment
- Drug And Alcohol Detox Centers
- Methadone Treatment Programs
- Methadone Detox
- Transitional Living
- Outpatient Drug Rehab Programs
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse Day Programs
- Short Term Drug Treatment Centers
- Long Term Drug Treatment Programs
- Hospital Inpatient Programs
- Drug Treatment Centers For Teens and Adolescents
- Drug Rehabs for Dual Diagnosis Clients
- Drug Treatment Programs For HIV and AIDS Clients
- Drug Treatment For Gays and Lesbians
- Drug Treatment For Senior Citizens
- Drug Treatment Centers For Pregnant Women
- Drug Treatment For Women
- Drug Rehab Programs For Women With Children
- Drug Rehab Centers For Men
- Drug Rehabs For DUI and DWI Offenders
- Drug Treatment Programs For Criminal Justice Clients
- Drug Treatment Programs For Hearing Impaired Clients
- Native American and Alaskan Native Languages
- Drug Treatment Centers For Spanish Speaking Clients
- Languages other than Spanish
- Drug Rehab Centers That Accept Medicaid
- Drug Rehab Programs That Accept Medicare
- Drug Treatment Programs That Accept Private Health Insurance
- Drug Rehab Centers That Accept Military Insurance
- Self Pay Drug Treatment Programs
- Drug Rehab Centers With Sliding Scale Fees
- Drug Rehab Centers With Payment Assistance